Pioneer Museum

The Platteville Pioneer Museum was started in 1994 by Sally and Raymond Miller, Dorothy and Alan Brotmarkle, and Betty and Tom Harris, on the site of the previous town library. Thanks to contributions by former and local residents, as well as a Department of Local Affairs Mineral Impact Fund Grant, an addition was constructed in 2006. The non-profit museum is managed by the Platteville Historical Society, and operated with support from memorial gifts and memberships, and The Town of Platteville.

The Platteville Pioneer Museum, located at 502 Marion Avenue, is open Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00am to 3:00 pm, and on Saturdays from 10:00am to 2:00 pm. Families and groups can also schedule private showings if booked in advance. For more information call (970) 785-6285.

View the Pioneer Museum's Website

Platteville Pioneer Museum

Soar-Stevens Log Cabin

The Soar-Stevens Log Cabin

Nina Soar, the daughter or Ezra Soar, married Charles Stevens and lived in this cabin until her death in 1950. The Ward family later donated the Soar-Stevens cabin to the Platteville Historical Society / Platteville Pioneer Museum. The Ward family settled in the United States in 1853, and moved to the Platteville area in 1868. 

Reconstruction and moving the cabin to its current location was made possible by donations, membership dues to the Platteville Historical Society, and the work of volunteers.